The BioCube is a unique patented product that has been developed to create species-rich ecosystems, and directly address the need for biodiversity net gain. This is achieved through the creation of integrated habitats capable of supporting small mammals, amphibians, microorganisms, and invertebrates. It is the biggest unit in our range, suited to large residential, community or commercial settings.
In trials, when compared to an adjacent short grass area, a single BioScape habitat unit delivered a 10-fold increase in invertebrates and a 3-fold increase in amphibian species.
The BioCube includes:
Core unit specifications:
Length (front to back): 150cm
Width (front face): 150cm
Multi purpose unit specifications:
Length (front to back): 120cm
Width (front face): 120cm
Installation instructions are included
How it works
The design is a layered system of interconnected habitats which bring together a broad spectrum of species in a mutually supportive ecosystem. The combination of wet and dry habitats, with integrated nesting areas and refuges, provide homes for rare and endangered species from hoverflies to hedgehogs.
Each habitat within the BioCube has been carefully located to provide protection and insultation from external influences such as predators, extreme temperatures, and noise.
Base unit / deadwood area - approx. 600 litres (deadwood material)
- Designed with open access to the ground beneath for direct integration with the site, encouraging the exchange of microorganisms and providing drainage.
- Can be filled with deadwood material to attract a variety of species. The base of this area includes dry habitats for small mammals such as hedgehogs as well as wet habitats for amphibians such as frogs and newts.
Core reservoir and additional wet habitat area - approx. 100 litres (stone / gravel / water)
- Positioned above the base unit, the core reservoir can be filled with stone and holds water for irrigating the planting area above.
- Recesses allow water to overflow, replenishing the wet chambers in the deadwood area below, attracting microorganisms and species which prefer a wet or damp habitat.
- The base of the reservoir also acts as shelter to the centre of the dead wood zone below, keeping this part of the BioCube slightly drier.
Main planting area - approx. 650 litres (topsoil / growing media)
- Sits above the core reservoir.
- Can be filled with topsoil or other growing media to grow a variety of plants dependent upon the requirements of the site – for example plants that support pollinating insects or herbs and edibles.
V-planters - approx. 250 litres (topsoil / growing media)
- A second planting space that surrounds the main planting area to maximise growing capacity.
- Creates added visual appeal.
Wooden habitats to attract bees, butterflies, and other insects
- Located on the outer edge of the main planting area and above the ‘V-planters’.
- Bee hotels with pre-drilled holes – designed to attract solitary bees such as mason or leaf cutter bees.
- Central butterfly house with long, thin slits.
- Invertebrate hotel can be filled with pinecones or other natural material such as straw or leaf litter.
Three additional multi-purpose units - approx. 300 litres (topsoil / growing media)
- Can be used in variety of ways to suit your requirements.
- Suitable for use as raised planters for flowers, shrubs, herbs, or other edible produce.
- A wildlife pond can be created by digging a section into the ground. Cover it with a waterproof membrane and fill with water. This will create another aquatic habitat to attract frogs, toads, and other amphibians.
Useful product information
Each BioCube is made from recycled or recyclable materials.
BioCube uses durable and robust construction materials. The unit itself requires minimal maintenance, if any at all, and is weather resistant. Any maintenance would be dependent on your planting scheme and how you choose to use the three multipurpose units.
Suitable for hard surfaces
To maximise the potential biodiversity gains of the BioCube, the units should ideally be installed in contact with a natural surface, such as grassed areas or bare soil, however the benefits are still vast when installed on hard surfaces.
BioCube 2-in-1 Outdoor Large Square Planter and Wildlife House by Bio Scapes, L150 W150 cm
- L150 W150 cm